What is a Kent County Road Permit Bond?
The Kent County Road Commission in Michigan requires contractors seeking authorization to work on the county’s commercial driveways and private streets to post a surety bond as part of the permit requirements. This includes residential driveways, sidewalks, and non-motorized pathways, landscaping, utilities, and oversized overweight trucking.
The Kent County Road Permit Bond is a type of performance bond to guarantee the performance and completion of a road project as specified in the contractual obligations.
The bond also ensures that the contractor will work on the right-of-way, streets, sidewalks, and driveways to become reasonably safe and convenient for public travel.
What are the bond conditions?
- The Surety must be qualified to issue performance bonds in the State of Michigan, specifically in Kent County.
- The Principal (contractor) must do and perform all work done and performed under said permit in a careful, secure, skillful, and workmanlike manner, and guard the work authorized and the materials for use during the progress to prevent injuries, losses, or damages to persons or property.
- The Principal must replace and restore the street or highway and right of way (ROW) to as good a state and condition as the same it previously was.
- The Principal must observe the statutes of the State of Michigan, and the ordinances of the County of Kent, and shall comply with all articles outlined in the permits and pay all bills rendered by said Board of Kent County Road Commissioners to complete or repair in accordance with permit requirements, or replacement of pavement, roadway, and right of way where disturbed or displaced by the road work.
- If the Principal performs as agreed, then this obligation shall be null and void; otherwise, the obligation will remain in full force and effect.
What is the bond amount?
The bond amount is currently set at $20,000.
The cost of the bond is a percentage of the bond amount. It usually ranges from 1%-5% and serves as your bond premium. The cost may be subjected to a surety underwriter’s assessment of your financial credentials, credit score, and work/personal experience.
How do I obtain a Kent County Road Permit Bond?
You can easily get this surety bond from us! We will guide you through the entire process. We’ll make sure that you will understand what you are getting into.
Here’s how to do get bonded:
- You have to send an application to us. If you are ready to do that now, you may APPLY HERE!
- After we have received your application, we will ask you to submit the necessary information needed for the underwriting process. These are the following:
- Your business or job performance history (important for contractors)
- Your credit score
- Your copy of the BOND FORM, which can be obtained from the Kent County Road Commission
An expert underwriter will carefully evaluate all three to attain the best credit decision possible. To avoid any delay, the information that you should submit should be organized and concise.
3. Your surety bond will be issued and sent to you!
Call us today and get bonded!