What is a Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Lost Title Bond?

Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Lost Title BondA Certificate of Title Bond is a type of surety bond required for persons who do not have proof of ownership for their motor vehicle, boat, mobile or manufactured home, motor home, motorcycle, or other titled motor vehicle properties.

The Wisconsin Department of Transportation Division of Motor Vehicles requires motor vehicle owners to furnish this surety bond to get a new title so that they can register their vehicles.

The bond guarantees financial compensation to any security interests that may lay claim on the motor vehicle after the certificate of title has been issued.

According to the WisDOT’s application for the bonded certificate of title for a vehicle, there are instances where a bond will be required:

  • Lacking evidence of ownership
  • Incomplete chain of ownership
  • No title document
  • The title doesn’t describe the vehicle (e.g. wrong VIN#)

Simply put, the bond ensures that the vehicle owner assumes the responsibility for proper vehicle ownership when the usual process for determining ownership cannot be provided.


What are the bond conditions?

  • The bond must be issued by a Surety authorized to conduct business in the State of Wisconsin.
  • The bond is required to be held for a period of five years from the date the title is issued or until the requirements of Stats. 342.12(3)(b) have been met.
  • When a bond is issued, the Surety is obligated to the term of the bond and cannot change the terms mid-stream nor can they request a higher fee during the term of the bond. The terms agreed upon at the time of bond issuance are the terms for the life of the surety bond, even if a claim is filed.
  • If there is a claim against the bond for ownership of the vehicle or the applicant falsifies the application, the Surety claims department would seek reimbursement from the Principal (vehicle owner) to recover any financial losses.
  • The Surety holds the right to withdraw the bond by providing 60 days’ written notice to WisDOT.


What is the bond amount?

The minimum bond amount is set at $2,500.

For vehicles with a book value greater than $2,500, DMV evaluates the documentation provided with the Bond Application and requests a bond for 1.5 times the value of the vehicle. After reviewing the documentation, DMV will consult price guides to determine the valuation of the vehicle.

The cost of the bond is a percentage of the bond amount (ranging between 1% and 5%). The cost will be based on the amount of risk and your financial status.

Know more about your bond costs and requirements by getting a FREE quote!


How can I obtain a Motor Vehicle Lost Title Bond?

Here’s a step-by-step bonding process that we have made easier so that you can get your bond in no time:


You must first apply for this type of surety bond. If you are ready to do this now, you may APPLY HERE!

Our expert surety bond agent will guide you through the entire process – from the time you have applied until the bond is issued to you.

You may need to get a copy of the BOND FORM from the State Department of Transportation Division of Motor Vehicles.


Next, you will be asked to submit a few important information that our underwriter will need to assess the following:

  • Your job or business history
  • Your credit score
  • Your financial strength

To avoid any delays, make sure that you have gathered the right information needed before submitting.


Once the underwriting process is done, we will immediately issue your bond and send it to you right away!

Call us at 800-333-7800 and let’s get you bonded!

Liked this content? Share it!