What is a Washington Alcohol Tax Bond?

Let us guide you in acquiring an alcohol tax bond for your business! 

Washington Alcohol Tax Bond

As stated in Chapter 314-19 of the Washington Administrative Code (WAC), the following alcohol licensee or permit holders need to post a surety bond:

  • Washington Beer and/or Wine Distributor
  • Domestic Microbrewery
  • Domestic Brewery
  • Public House
  • Domestic Winery
  • Wine Shipper
  • A Beer or Wine Certificate of Approval Holder that has a direct shipment privilege

The following are the purpose of this bond:

  • To ensure that the licensee will pay the right amount of alcohol taxes owed to the State of Washington
  • To ensure that the licensee will strictly comply with all regulatory and legal requirements of the business of selling alcoholic beverages in Washington.

The surety bond should be submitted within 21 days after an administrative violation notice is issued for either of the following tax violations:

  • Missing tax payment or report for two or more consecutive months as defined in Chapter 314-19-010 of the WAC
  • Missing tax payment or report for two or more times within a two-year period as defined in Chapter 314-19-010 of the WAC

This surety bond is also known as The Federal and State-Specific Alcohol Tax Bond.


What is the bond amount?

The bond amount should be $3,000, or the total of the highest four months’ worth of tax liability for the previous twelve-month period, whichever is greater.


What are the bond conditions?

  • The bond should be issued by a surety bond company that is authorized to conduct such business in Washington
  • The bond should be made payable to the Washington State Liquor Control Board
  • The Licensee will abide by the provisions of Chapter 314-19 of the Washington Administrative Code
  • The licensee will pay the taxes and penalties levied by Chapter 66.24.210 and/or Chapter 66.24.290 of the Revised Code of Washington
  • In case of violation, the aggrieved party or the State of Washington may file a claim on the bond
  • The bond should remain valid for at least two years

How can I obtain an Alcohol Tax Bond?

You can easily get one by following these simple steps:

STEP 1: Apply for the bond

You need to submit a bond application to us. If you’re ready to apply now, you may do so here!

STEP 2: Underwriting

We will ask you for a couple of important information needed for the bond. This will include your financial history, business performance history, tax payment history, and your credit score. An underwriter will carefully evaluate all those.

STEP 3: Bond execution

Once the underwriter is done with the underwriting process, we will immediately issue the bond and send it to you!


Do you need this bond immediately? Call us now!

Liked this content? Share it!