What is a Pennsylvania Barber School Bond?
To obtain licensure of a new barber school, change ownership of an existing barber school, or change the location of an existing barber school, applicants must first furnish a surety bond before being able to provide business in Pennsylvania.
The Barber School Bond is designed as financial security for the payments and fees taken on account from students or prospective students of the school. It ensures the contractual rights of all students that have taken barbering courses and prepaid their tuition fees.
Under the Barbers’ License Law Act of 1931, No. 202, a barber is any individual who is engaged in the practice of barbering. No school must accept any monies on an account unless it has provided a bond by the provisions of this act.
In Pennsylvania, barbering means:
- To shave or trim the beard;
- To cut, shape, trim or blend the hair with the proper tools or instruments;
- To shape the eyebrows, to give facial and scalp massage, facial and scalp treatment, either by hand or by mechanical or electrical appliances;
- To singe and shampoo the hair or apply any makes of hair cream, hair lotions, or hair tonics;
- To dye, color, or bleach the hair and to perform any service on a wig or hairpiece; to style and to render hair straightening, hair processing, hair weaving, hair waving, and curling, with such methods as manual, mechanical, chemical, or electrical with the proper devices or proper chemical compounds
*Exempted from this bond are members of one’s household who perform any or all of the above services.
What are the bond conditions?
- The bond must be written by a Surety accepted and authorized to issue surety bonds in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- The Obligee is the Pennsylvania State Board of Barber Examiners.
- If the Principal faithfully performs and satisfies the contractual rights of any and all students, then this obligation shall be void; otherwise the same shall be in full force and effect.
- In no event will Surety be liable for an amount exceeding the penalty of the bond.
What is the bond amount?
The bond amount varies depending on the amount of gross tuition receipts.
The cost of the bond is a percentage (between 1% and 5%) of the bond amount. The cost will depend on your credit score and personal/business experience as evaluated by a Certified Surety Underwriter.
How can I get a Barber School Bond?
We’ve made it easier for you! Just follow the simple steps below!
STEP 1: Apply for the bond
You need to submit a bond application to us. If you’re ready to apply now, get to know your bond costs and requirements by applying for a FREE quote HERE!
STEP 2: Underwriting
We will ask you for a couple of important information needed for the bond. This will include your credit score. You may also provide a copy of the BOND FORM, which can be obtained from the Pennsylvania State Board of Barber Examiners.
An underwriter will carefully evaluate all those.
STEP 3: Bond execution
Once the underwriter is done with the underwriting process, we will immediately issue the bond and send it to you!
For accessible, affordable, and hassle-free bonds, get your bonds by calling us now!