What is a Montana Certificate of Title Bond?
Need a replacement for your vehicle title? No problem! A surety bond is all you need!
The Motor Vehicle Division of the Department of Justice, by section 6-3-208 of the Montana Code, requires individuals who are applying for a certificate of title replacement, but cannot provide proof of prior ownership interest in the following vehicles to post a surety bond along with an affidavit:
- Off-highway motor vehicle
- Pole trailer
- Personal watercraft
- Sailboat 12 feet or longer
The surety bond is also applicable to other vehicles that exceed $500 in value.
What is the bond amount?
The bond amount will be equal to the full retail price of the vehicle you are applying a certificate of title for.
The vehicle’s amount will be based on the amount stated on an applicable national appraisal guide as of January 1 for the year in which the application is made.
If a national appraisal guide is not available, the vehicle’s amount will be based on the applicant’s knowledge and belief.
Those who have excellent credit scores may qualify for a very low bond premium or just 1% of the bond amount!
Find out what needs to pay by getting your FREE quote here!
What is the Certificate of Title Bond conditions?
- The bond must be issued by a surety bond company licensed to conduct business in Montana such as Surety Bond Authority
- The surety bond will compensate the following caused by the defect or undisclosed interest in the issuance of the certificate of title:
- Prior owner
- Subsequent purchaser
- Secured creditor
- Any encumbrance of the motor vehicle
- Any respective successors in interest including losses such as attorney’s fees
- If there is no claim on the bond, the Department should return it three years after the date of issuance or the date where the certificate of title is surrendered, whichever is earlier.
How can I obtain this type of bond?
STEP 1: Apply for the bond
You need to submit a bond application.
STEP 2: Underwriting
We will ask you a couple of relevant information needed for the bond. This will include your financial history, business performance history, and your credit score. An underwriter will carefully evaluate all those.
STEP 3: Bond execution
Once the underwriter is done with the underwriting process, we will immediately issue the bond and send it to you!
What are the other requirements?
- The applicant should do the following if the motor vehicle is sold without a manufacturer’s certificate of origin:
- Install and purchase equipment required for the motor vehicle in compliance with §61- 9- 2 of the Montana Code
- Verify that all necessary equipment is present and operational through an inspection conducted by a law enforcement agent
Get started on your Montana Certificate of Title Surety Bond today! Call us now!