What is a Michigan Manufactured Home Certificate of Title Bond?
Michigan requires applicants who wish to apply for a Certificate of Manufactured Home Ownership to furnish a surety bond.
The Manufactured Home Certificate of Title Bond guarantees that you assure the State of Michigan that you are the sole and true owner of your manufactured home. The bond is a condition of issuing the Certificate under Section 125.2330a (2) of the Mobile Home Commission Act.
The bond also ensures that damages will be paid in case someone claims ownership of a manufactured home with no title and in possession of the Principal (applicant seeking a Certificate of Manufactured Home Ownership).
Under Michigan Statutes, a manufactured home is a residential structure that is transportable and built on a chassis. It is used as a home or dwelling with or without a permanent foundation and includes heating, air-conditioning, plumbing, and electrical and water utilities.
What are the bond conditions?
- The Surety must be authorized to conduct business in the State of Michigan.
- The Principal must conform to all applicable state, city, and county laws and statutes upon receiving the Certificate.
- An interested party may claim any damages sustained due to a breach of the conditions and may recover costs and attorney fees.
- The surety’s aggregate liability to all interested persons shall not exceed the determined bond amount.
- If the manufactured home is no longer titled in the State of Michigan and the currently valid Certificate of Manufactured Home Ownership is surrendered, the latest the bond will be returned is at the end of five years from the time it was issued; unless the Department received notification of pending action to recover on the bond.
- The Surety must provide the Department 60-days written notice before the cancellation of the bond.
What is the bond amount?
The bond amount varies and will be set by the State Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. The bond amount is double the value of your manufactured home. For example, if your manufactured home is worth $15,000, you will need to get a surety bond worth $30,000.
The cost of the bond will be determined based on the details of your manufactured home, the number of manufactured homes, and your credit score. The cost is a percentage of the bond amount, usually 1%-5%.
How can I obtain a Manufactured Home Certificate of Title Bond?
First, contact the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs to determine if you qualify to obtain a Certificate of Manufactured Home Ownership.
To secure this type of bond, you must seek the assistance of a surety bond company.
You will be asked to apply for this bond. If you’re ready to apply for one right now and get an accurate cost, request your FREE quote HERE!
Once the application is received, the surety bond company will immediately process it. In our case, one of our expert surety bond agents will guide you through the whole process from the time you applied for the bond. We will make sure that you understand all the conditions before we issue the bond.
An underwriter will then evaluate your credit score.
Once the prequalification process is fulfilled, we will execute the bond and send it to you!
Complete your Michigan Certificate of Manufactured Home Ownership application, attach it to your bond, and mail it to the Michigan Secretary of State.